My Links:

Nasty Outfit

How Much The Future Will Suck


BnF

Nasty Outfit Sound Studios


Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Once again unemployed


~This time not eating so much curry~

I'm in NYC, once again unemployed because I'm lazy. It's not a hard way of living. It's actually very relaxing. But lately I've been thinking a lot about New York, and what it says about the United States and US Americans. So I did a quick urbandictionary search and found NYC is “Where my heart will always be no matter where I go.” I thought it was the home of bagels...

Basically, people have ridiculous amounts of pride for New York City. It is supposedly the capital of the world, the economic and cultural heart of America, the biggest city of America, one of the strongest urban centers in the world. But for such a small space crammed with so many prideful people, it's amazing how little community there is. The other night, my girlfriend and I were walking through Central Park at 4am. (Because we weren't sure if the buses were still going or not... and it was 4am! We wanted to sleep). We walked through and it was actually kind of magical, like some ancient elven village that people dropped a pavement road in the middle of.

If you know anything about NYC, you're probably wondering why anyone would walk through Central Park at 4am. That's the point!. If it is such a great city, why should anyone be scared to walk around? Why are people so solitary when they wait to cross the street? Why can't you look at people on the subway? Why do gangs define the color clothes you wear?

I sat down as the sun started to rise and I thought about this stuff. For some reason, all I could think of was a zombie-man living in New York. A completely civilized, domesticated zombie, not eating brains and moaning. Just some undead guy who has a job and lives in an apartment and doesn't look people in the eye or make a scene and is scared of getting robbed by junkies. So I started writing and there'll be a novella somewhere around these tubes by the end of the summer.

This summer should be good. I have lots of free time and not so much food so I can't just sit around and eat. Which is kind of lame now that I think about it..

~Teck, still searching for Dark Night of the Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment